A Justice Site
Corrections Race, Crime, Law
Previous Weeks- Fall 2005 HOME
Department of Criminal Justice
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Latest Update: September 22, 2005
All creative measures must be pre-approved.
tell me and i forget show me and i remember involve me and i understand
- a Chinese proverb
This local hub site will serve as a forum for messages about:
- Latest UWP Lecture Commentaries
- Previous Week's UWP Lecture Commentaries
- Book Reviews by UWP Students
- Site Additions
- Site Visits and Field Trips
- To submit a message, Prof. Takata at email@example.com
All UWP Classes, Announcements
- Friday, October 28th - Last Day to Drop Class
Criminal Justice Association News
Check the Criminal Justice Department web page for future club announcement.
- Keep in mind:
** the 5Cs: competency, consistency, cooperation, communication, and creativity.
A sixth has been added during Fall 2005 - courtesy.
We expect work that will produce a professional and competitive product in a real market. We also expect that even our most creative workers will recognize throughout the semester an effective product presentation depends on good work standards from every member of the team. Team morale and expectations have a great deal to do with enforcing works standards collectively. Time to learn that process.
At work, you aren't given tests. Neither are you here. But you are expected to demonstrate your competency and participation. Each class or volunteer participation with us is a contract job to which you commit for the semester. We not only expect the work to be done, but we also expect you to find effective ways to let us know what you are doing, and consequently, that your final work product will be a good one.
If, for whatever reason, your work is not meeting our production standard, we are sure that you will be in touch with us to either seek employee assistance or advice. One hot clue that you may be slipping is if your name appears no where on blogs, shared readings, on small discussion groups, and if we haven't heard from you.
** Bloom and Krathwohl's Taxonomy of Learning: latent learning, recognition, recall, application, analysis, evaluation, and synthesis.
Grades are interactive and interdependent. You are responsible for telling me what you have accomplished, and verifying it either in class, in person, in an email dialogue, or meeting with me. The first eight weeks is worth one-third of your course grade, while the second eight weeks constitutes two-thirds of your course grade. The minimum requirements for a course grade of "C" are: 1) completion of all weekly discussion questions, 2) participatory class attendance (not only attending but participating in class discussions), and 3) at least a "C" average in pop quiz grades (to note "do not count" on a majority of pop quizzes is below average). For an explanation, read and Grades.
Readings for All UWP Classes:
- Sovereign and Disciplinary Power.
- Getting Hit on the Head Lessons by Alfie Kohn.
- Education Exists Because We Love It
- Join the Yahoo Discussion Group with CSUDH students.
- CRMJ Library Resource Page by Geoffrey Morse.
- Letters of Recommendation Index
- Avoiding Plagiarism
All UWP Classes, site visits and field trips:
- Course Syllabus
- Who Goes to Prison? due Monday, September 26th.
- new Hassine Interviews and Prison Violence due Friday, September 30th.
- Number 3: Week of September 18, 2005
- Number 2: Week of September 11, 2005
- Number 1: Week of September 4, 2005
- Lecture Commentaries for the Week of September 18, 2005
- Lecture Commentaries for the Week of September 11, 2005
- Lecture Commentaries for the Week of September 4, 2005