A Justice Site
CSUDH - Habermas - UWP - Archives
California State University, Dominguez Hills
University of Wisconsin, Parkside
Soka University Japan - Transcend Art and Peace
Created:August 12, 2002
Latest Update: January 27, 2003
Notes on Writing PDF file.
newspapers, moving beyond their accounts
How to Tell the Difference between a Magazine and a Scholarly Journal and why it matters University of Pacific Mentor Web. Link added August 13, 2003.
Writing Research Papers Based on Modern Language Association (MLA) Documentation Prepared by the Humanities Department and the Arthur C. Banks Jr. Library. Capital Community College. Hartford, Connecticut. Link added August 4, 2003.
Sample Rewrite on Theory to Policy to Practice and Back, Fall 1999. Suggestions to improve submissions for Mid-Term, which we try not to have in 2003. But the rewrite still works to earn you a better grade.
MLA Citation Online Link added August 4, 2003.
On Writing Term Papers at Webster University. Link added July 9, 2003.
- Writing Practice with Grades in Mind
- August 10, 2003: Twenty-five words or less and paper clips.
- January 27, 2003: Received a request from a law student today, to help locate information on philosophy and law. Decided it offered a good example of concepptual linking for all of you. Conceptually Linking Philosophy and Law.
- Fall 2002: How to Get an A or a B Shanell's determination to follow a pattern so that eventually, I'd find the time and let her know how to get an A. Her Aunt Brenda did a good job of tutoring on this one.
- Fall 2002: How to edit a C- comment into an A or B. On Female Genital Cuttings.
- Fall 2002: Comments on Eminem article by Caren Davis. Maybe in the long run it's the respect and dignity with which we treat our children that really counts the most. Good example of choosing a topic that meets your interests. And suggestions for turning a B message into an A message.
- Fall 2002: A Quickly dashed off measure of learning - an A
- Fall 2002: Beverly Hills and Dia de los Muertos This is a real good example on how to get started on measuring your learning, if you've been having trouble with assuming that power on your own.
- Fall 2002: The Illocutionary Stages of Academic Discourse. What NOT to Do If You Want an A in case you didn't get it the first time. This is real work. And I'm usually overloaded. And we do get snippy with one another. We just try to keep it within playful bounds, and we really do try to respect one another. Denise's work here practically constitutes a journal she's kept over the semester, varied, on point, a little sassy, but good stuff. Bear in mind that it takes the teacher's participation to turn it into an A! That's interactive learning.
- Fall 2002: "the important thing here is to look at what we have done with this freedom" Mandy Unversagt's comments on the Bishop's CAN A MARKET ECONOMY SERVE THE POOR? Good example of how to use a comment to start a deeper discourse on the substantive issues at stake. Usually works best for advanced students.
- Fall 2002: What NOT to Do If You Want an A. Don't Piss Off the Teacher for Fun and Games!
- College: What Language Is Spoken Here? Bourdieu would say we have a responsibility to teach the language of academic discourse. Dear Habermas tries to do that. October 20, 2001.
I haven't had time yet to check the following links for Spring 2003. jeanne January 27, 2003.
New Additions. August 2001:
Using the Dear Habermas Site for Research and Writing
- Site Manual with detailed instructions for using the site. Over the course of the summer 2001, I'll be working on this file for teaching computer literacy on our site for Fall 2001. Not yet updated for Spring 2003. jeanne
Grammar and Style
- The Elements of Style William Strunk, Jr.
Common Errors in English Great site, maintained by Paul Brians, Professor of English, Washington State University.
- A guide to Grading Stories Grading Rubric by
- Carrying on a written dialog One of James J. O'Donnell's suggestions in Tools for Teaching.
- Guide to the Study of PhilosophyPhilosophy Pages. Good section on Writing Philosophy.
- Latino Writers' RounbdtableNew York State Council on the Arts. First Conference in 1999. And check out their painting at New York State Lit Tree
Theory in the Teaching of Writing Adversarialsm vs. Mutuality
- JAC 1.1 (1980), Cassette Commentary: An Approach to the Teaching of Expository Writing. Alexander Medlicott, Jr.
- JAC 1.1 (1980), A Reply to Medlicott: Evaluating Writing. Karen Pelz
- Plan a p or p on how these two articles fit the adversarial and the mutuality continuum that Fellman notes. Check sitetchng.htm
- JAC article on Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC)
Addresses the voice of the Other when we prepare students for academic discourse in non-literature courses.
- Visual Literacy
- Modernity and the Hegemony of Vision David Michael Levin, ed. 1993. University of California Press. ISBN: N-0-520-07973-6.
"This volume is a collection of essays on vision: not only vision itself but the culture of vision, and the many different discourses of vision. . . Can it be demonstrated that, beginning with the Ancient Greeks, our Western culture has been dominated by an ocularcentric paradigm, a vision-generated, vision-centered interpretation of knowledge, truth, and reality?"
In connection with this, please remember to ask jeanne about what is meant in the law by "proximate" cause, and how the law handles this problem of going back to first causes.
- Think it was in this journal I found visual literacy article. Hunt for it. jeanne
But see also:Journal of Visual Literacy
and try to find article by someone who teaches textual literacy to art students, and complains that it is inconsistent to teach writing across the curriculum in the age of the visual, with no parallel emphasis on skills in visual communication. And note that the adversarial compulsion in academe has accumulated so much power that this one-sided emphasis has come to be accepted as inevitable!
Wilton's Etymology Page:Study of Word Origins Merriam Webster Online
First go to this site: http://www.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/writing.htm
Link on the first link for word origins on that page. That's a nice site.
Then to find convict, link on the next link to the Merriam Webster Dictionary.
At that site, type the word convict in the dictionary dialog box. Enter or return or whatever.
It will give you three versions. It's the second version you need to select to find the roots.
Good luck. jeanne
A Web of Online Dictionaries
Need to add how we build on past authorities. Loewald to Lear to Curran and Takata. January 27, 2000.
Columbia guide to Online Style
You'll need to scroll down about a third of the way to get to 2.8 Citations on the World Wide Web. Link to that.
Networked Writing Environment
Networked Writing Environment's Literary Collections
The Seven Steps of the Research Process
Link to Library Tutorials and Skill Guides > Library Research: A Hypertext Guide
New Tech Plagiarism Check
Academic Discourse: Practical Writing
Curran and Takata
Oberon's Citation Web Site
Software to make notes and bibliography a snap.
Used in our classes and on the site. Link added July 11, 1999.
Argument and Persuasion Techniques in Writing
The following table is under construction. Takes a while. jeanne, July 15, 1999.
Navigation Table for the Writing Shelf Finding Sources How To E-Mail Class Ex. 25 Words or Less Plagiarism Affect in Learning Sample Rewrites Choosing Topics Dictionaries Arguments Rhetoric Writing Tasks Recommendations Avoiding 'Dog" Letters E-Texts Rudeness as a No-No
The Social Construction of Functional Illiteracy
Conceptual Linking of Ideas
Presently only general explanation. Also
sample of Prof. Kirchoff's Holistic Biology cross-disciplinary conceptualization.
Link updated June 21, 1999.
Links to Scholarly References
Link added June 21, 1999.
Writing and Seeking Letters of Recommendation
Copyright Help Sheet
on the site of the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Gives clear explanation,
insofar as that is possible, of "fair use," and of the incorporation
of links from other sites. Link added June 26, 1999.
Will spell check your site! Link shared with us by Wendy Added June 18, 1999.
On-Line Writing Instruction at CSU Sacramento
Try it. Link added June 8, 1999.
Letters of Recommendation:
Format for Successful Letters of Recommendation
Grading and Writing and Learning
Legitimacy of Grades
On-going report of what we learned throughout the process of recording e-mails for Spring 1999 classes.
Trying on Narratives for Size and Fit: Shaping Them to Us
Draft for paper on identity and the narrative of learning. June 13, 1999.
Theory Construction and the Narrative of Learning
The Measurement of Competence and Learning
The GRADES we really ought to give.
Authentication as an Interactive Project
Forms to Guide Us Through Interactive Measures
Plagiarism, Authentication, and Other Peoples' PapersIncluding a link to the Evil House of Cheat
Dr. Gwen's Research Page
Helpful guide for doing term papers. Link added June 19, 1999.
Internet Research Assistant Dr. Gwen's
Great resources. Link tested August 20, 2000. Excellent study guide. Needs to be read and digested. Not a quick fix for those who need to develop writing skills, but a very good reference for the student who want special help with writing.
How to Cite from the Internet :
See also Software for Citation: Oberon's Citation Web Site
Bibliographic Formats for Citing Electronic Information
Indiana University's Aids for Citing Electronic Sources
APA and MLA Citation Styles
University of Texas Undergraduate Writing Center
Link added July 10, 1999.
The Copyright Web Site
Guidelines for Referencing in Research Papers
Humboldt's Social Work Guide. Link added July 10, 1999.
Lists and Links to Topics for Public Discourse
University of North Carolina's Virtual Reference Desk
On-Line Version of Webster's Dictionary
Roget's Thesaurus On-Line
Foreign Language Dictionaries:
French-English Dictionary at the University of Chicago
German-English Dictionary (Passau)
List of Lists Pointing to Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing
Bartlett's Quotations On-Line
Writing Sites :
The Education Index for Helping with Homework and Term PapersExternal Site
Links to Resume Writing Guides
Link found on the Riley Guide, added here on February 5, 1999.
Preparing a Resume Prose Writing at RPI
Punctuation at RPI Thesis Writing from RPI
Writing a Research Paper George Mason University
Writing and Online Reference Desk
Dictionaries, Including French and German
The Encyclopedia Britannica Online Members access only. You will need to come to Jeanne's office.
Scholarly Reference Links
Evaluating Authority - E-Mail
Learning Through Discussion Dr. Bruce dePyssler.
Essay on how to use this in evaluation after holidays. jeanne
Site Copyright: Jeanne Curran and Susan R. Takata and Individual Authors, January 2003.
"Fair use" encouraged.